Stuart D. Lurie has been practicing law since 1999. Prior to forming Rosenthal Lurie & Broudy LLC, Stuart worked in the litigation departments of Philadelphia based national and regional law firms.
Stuart concentrates his practice primarily in the areas of commercial litigation, real estate / construction litigation, and business. His representations range from litigation over corporate transactions and contract disputes to insurance coverage, healthcare, and employment-related litigation.
Stuart has litigated a broad array of commercial matters in both state and federal courts in Pennsylvania and New York. He represents a wide spectrum of both individual and business clients. In the corporate arena, he has handled the defense of commercial banks against actions brought under Articles 3 and 4 of the Uniform Commercial Code, defended both carriers and agents against commercial insurance coverage claims, and represented large corporations in a variety of contract disputes. In one notable representation, Stuart was instrumental in obtaining on behalf of a managed care client a groundbreaking decision on the issue of Medicaid reimbursement for emergency services. While representing individuals, Stuart has successfully prosecuted actions against a school district for civil rights violations, and against a residential developer for construction defects.
A sampling of Stuart's litigation representations includes:
- Defense of title insurance agency against contribution and indemnity claims for fraud, Fidelity Nat’l Title Ins. Co. v. Craven, 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 5767 (E.D. Pa. 2016)
- Defense of advertising/marketing firm against breach of contract claims
- Representation of commercial real estate management company in landlord/tenant action
- Defense of Medicare contracting company against claims for malicious investigatory practices
- Representation of homeowners in residential construction defects actions
- Representation of business owner in shareholder dispute
- Representation of educational institution against public utility for over-billing
- Defense of sellers of residential real estate for alleged failure to disclose defects in property
- Representation of individual in homeowners insurance coverage litigation
- Representation of gas and chemical manufacturer in dispute over joint development of energy-saving technology
- Defense of insurance carrier against commercial insurance coverage claims, JEP Mgmt., Inc. v. Federal Ins. Co., 2006 WL 2372961 (Pa. Com. Pl. 2006)
- Defense of Lloyds agent against commercial insurance coverage claims brought by NHL team, Comcast Spectacor, L.P. v. Chubb & Son, Inc., 2006 WL 2302686 (E.D. Pa. 2006)
- Defense of Medicaid managed care organization against claims for reimbursement of noncontracted emergency services, Trustees of the Univ. of Pennsylvania v. AmeriChoice of Pennsylvania, Inc., 2007 WL 5176545 (Pa. Com. Pl. 2007)
- Defense of manufacturing company in commercial landlord/tenant action, Tri County Realty, Inc. v. Lunaire Ltd., 2006 WL 3484355 (M.D. Pa. 2006)
- Prosecution of land use appeals on behalf of real estate management firm
- Representation of individual in civil rights action against school district
- Representation of homeowner in residential construction defects action
- Bringing civil RICO, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty action against officers and directors of an insolvent medical malpractice insurer
- Defense of general contractor against contract, statutory bond claims
- Defense of software companies against fraud, contract claims, Owen J. Roberts Sch. Dist. v. HTE, Inc., 2003 WL 73509 (E.D. Pa. 2003)
- Representation of warehouse operator in dispute with produce shipper, Penn City Invs., Inc. v. Soltech, Inc., 2003 WL 22844210 (E.D. Pa. 2003)
- Enforcement of employee non-compete agreements
- Defense of roofing manufacturer against fraud, warranty claims, Cummings v. HPG Int'l, Inc., 244 F.3d 16 (1st Cir. 2001)
- Defense of furniture manufacturer in termination dispute with distributor
- Defense of petroleum products pipeline operator against action for damages from leak
- Stuart also counsels businesses on contract matters, representing their interests in the review, drafting, and negotiation of commercial contracts. Clients include businesses in a variety of industries such as graphic design, credit card processing, and fiber optic wire spooling.
- In 2008, Stuart completed the National Institute for Trial Advocacy Training Program, an intensive six-day course led by a distinguished faculty of judges, professors, and trial attorneys.