Josh represents and counsels domestic and international clients in connection with complex insurance coverage, reinsurance, insurance insolvency, and business and commercial disputes. He represents insurers, reinsurers, brokers, insureds and other participants in the insurance industry in litigation in state and federal courts, as well as arbitrations and mediations. He regularly provides advice on complex claims and coverage issues, contract wordings, regulatory matters, and litigation avoidance and risk management. He handles such matters across a broad spectrum of lines, including errors and omissions liability, directors and officers liability, general liability and first-party property insurance.
Josh was previously seconded to a Lloyd’s of London syndicate where he advised leading claims personnel and management on a myriad of insurance-related issues and assisted in overseeing North American litigation matters. Josh also has extensive experience representing clients on a wide range of civil litigation and business matters, including construction, real estate, labor and employment, civil rights, and contract and business tort disputes.
Josh has successfully defended and prosecuted a number of complex, high-exposure cases, including obtaining:
- vacatur of a multi-million-dollar reinsurance arbitration award based upon party arbitrator bias and non-disclosure;
- a $16.25 million recovery in a complex commercial contract and fraud dispute;
- a $50.8 million award for a ceding insurer in a reinsurance arbitration;
- summary judgment for a global insurer in a $10 million coverage dispute involving TCPA (Telephone Consumer Protection Act) claims;
- a Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court order approving a contested commutation and assumption reinsurance transaction worth $33.5 million.
Josh regularly speaks at various industry and continuing legal education conferences, a representative sampling of which is below:
- “Supply Chain Risks: A Legal and Claims Perspective,” Reinsurance Association of America, Re Underwriting Conference, New York, New York (September 12, 2016);
- “IUA Market Briefing Event: Are Reinsurance Arbitrations Meeting the Expectations of the Market? Recent Developments in the US and in the UK,” International Underwriting Association, London, England (Sept. 20, 2012);
- “Update on Director & Officers Liability Insurance: New England Business Lawyering Briefing,” MCLE, Boston, Massachusetts (Aug. 15, 2012);
- “Understanding Extra Expense Insurance Coverage,” Webinar for West LegalEdcenter (May 24, 2012).
Josh has also published numerous articles regarding matters relating to insurance and reinsurance, including the following:
- “Changing the Rules [On Regulation of Catastrophe Claims],” A.M. Best’s Review (Nov. 2014);
- “The Cooperation Clause and Competing Burdens,” The Connecticut Law Tribune (Feb. 6, 2014);
- “Pennsylvania Appellate Court Establishes New Approach to an Insurer’s Offer of a Defense Under a Reservation of Rights,” Mealey’s Emerging Coverage Disputes, Vol. 18, #18 (Sept. 26, 2013);
- “Preparing for Contingent Business Interruption Claims in the Wake of Superstorm Sandy,” Mealey’s Catastrophic Loss Report, Vol. 8, #5 (Feb. 2013).
Josh received his B.A. from Emory University and his J.D. from Delaware Law School. He is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Connecticut, as well as the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.